Barrel Aged Beer Tasting – Monday, September 14, 2015
Join us for a beer tasting on Monday, September 14th at 7 pm as we taste through nine different barrel aged beers. The tasting will be held in class format and guided by the Bearded Taster, Andy Bielecki. Unfortunately this will be Andy’s last tasting with us. Let’s send him out properly and drink some awesome beers!
Admission is $40 per person and must be made in advance at Tipple’s or by phone (352-672-6303). Sorry, no refunds or cancellations, please make sure you can attend before signing up! You will be consuming some delicious beers so please arrange for a safe ride home.
In addition to samples of the featured beers your admission includes a souvenir beer glass and 10% off most items in the store.
The Tasting List:
Great Divide Barrel Aged Hibernation
- Colorado – 10.5% – Old Ale
- Over 12 months in whiskey barrels has completely transformed this prized winter seasonal, producing a Hibernation that starts with big whiskey flavors before mellowing out into luscious chocolate, dark fruit and vanilla.
- Oklahome – 12% – Imperial Stout
- OK-Sí is a bold imperial stout with big flavors! Prairie starts with a thick and chewy imperial stout. The flavors are chocolate, coffee, and sweet caramel. This beer is perfect for aging in barrels. The sweetness from the beer balances out the intensity of the oak and spirit. The tequila barrels impart major notes of oak, citrus, agava, dark fruit, and a touch of vanilla. The combination of these two elements make for a very complex experience.
Hof Ten Dormaal Sauternes Barrel
- Belgium – 12% – Belgian Strong Pale Ale
- The delicate aroma resembles a journey through a tropical greenhouse, the floral and fruity scents, the taster induced response. Orange blossom, violets and honeysuckle go hand in hand with pear, peach, lime and mango. The complexity is complemented with notes of vanilla and clove and complemented by a notion of lavender. After this fresh bouquet comes the resounding of a pleasant and unexpected surprise. The onset of the beer is sweet and reminiscent of homemade marmalade, to be taken over by the alcohol and a refreshing spiciness consisting hints of fresh sage and anise. It is at this time that the vinous character of the beer reaches its fullness and this puts seemingly effortlessly into the aftertaste, which inevitably seems to be not to think of grapes, which proved that a successful marriage between wine and beer is certainly possible.
St Bernardus Oak Aged ABT 12
- Belgium – 11% – Quadrupel
- St Bernardus Abt 12 is the pride of the St Bernardus lineup. Dark with a full, ivory-colored head. It has a fruity aroma, with a long bittersweet finish and hoppy bite. To make it extra special this beer has been aged for six months in oak Calvados barrels.
Green Flash Cellar Three Silva
- California – 10.1% – Imperial Stout
- Green Flash’s Double Stout ages in oak bourbon barrels, and artfully emerges as Silva Stout. This midnight black ale features elegant notes of oak, vanilla, dark chocolate, coffee, roasted barley and ripe cherry. Round and delicately balanced in body, each sip envelops the palate with its impressively complex craft composition.
New Holland Dragon’s Milk
- Michigan – 10% – Imperial Stout
- A stout with roasty malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones, all dancing in an oak bath.
Swamp Head Barrel Aged 10-10-10
- Florida – 10% – Imperial IPA
- This barrel aged version of 10-10-10 takes this explosive beer to a whole new level of excess. The barrels have held some of Kentucky’s finest bourbon for many years. Aging the 10-10-10 in these barrels imparts notes of bourbon, oak and vanilla to complement the rich malt character, and profusion of hop flavors.
Green Flash Cellar Three Natura Morta Plum
- California – 5.5% – Saison
- Natura Morta Plum begins as a Belgian-style Saison fermented in foudres with Brettanomyces, then is aged in red wine barrels with Italian plum puree. After six months, a pink hued ale emerges. Elegant and flavorful, it renders notes of tart plum, rosewater and almond, balanced by barrel-drawn tannins and a refined dry finish.
Prairie Pirate Noir
- Oklahoma – 11% – Imperial Stout
- Pirate Noir is a Jamaican rum barrel aged imperial oatmeal stout. This beer takes the already delicious Prairie Noir and adds intense notes of vanilla, coconut, and rum to the beer.